Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Post-pizza blues, thoughts on Burke

Had the much-awaited Dominoes pizza, was pretty damn good. Back at
computer now. Finished Burke reading for my Social & Political Theory
(SPT) Module. All in all, there wasn't much that I really got out of
it. The last two weeks we've read Marx & Engels (an excerpt from 'The
German Ideology') and JS Mill's 'On Liberty' which were both fairly
detailed. Even though this piece was much shorter than the other two,
it just didn't have the same level of information, or the same number
of ideas. Burke seems more to repeat the same concept in a few
different ways (or as several rhetorical questions), rather than move
on. I suppose it doesn't help either that I don't know much about the
French Revolution, so can't engage that closely with it.

Other than that, very interesting lecture (the development of the web
and its role in the public sphere/civic society) and seminar today, SPT
seminar tomorrow- for which have to read the aforementioned Burke and
another chapter from the general cover-all book.

In other news, UEA Lib Dems meeting tomorrow, which I'm looking
forward to, and will hopefully get down to making inroads on the
essays due in in week 6/7 soon (it's week 4 now). All-in-all, a good
day, in a good mood, and feeling positive about work.

No comments: