trying to make a go of this blogging lark. Had a nice Valentine's Day,
sent an ill-advised FB message (or two), but that was yesterday. We've
had Friday 13th, St. Valentine's Day, and now it's just 'Sunday'. Got
to make waves with IR China/US essay today, seeing as floating off to
Brussels this weekend means that it needs to essentially get written
this week- or at least thoroughly, thoroughly planned. Nerd.
Read Drew Ferguson's 'Screwed Up Life of Charles the Second' today-
pretty trashy, entertaining, but nigglingly formulaic. I keep thinking
about books with gay characters ('gay books'?), and if it's ever
possible to pull if off. All the books of this kind I've read fall
into the trashy box (I oddly really want to read 'Last Chance' by
Sarah Dessen- a throwaway book I read in school, and couldn't throw
away). Apart from maybe 'The Line of Beauty'? There it's all wrapped
up in politics, class, zeitgeist, and whatever- and was thus
successful. TV adaptation better than the book, for once. And even if
the author goes the other way- a more serious tack- the gaiety looks
either tokenistic, or it's about rent boys.
(Sort of) decided about elections- sod it, learn more about how it all
works, run a society, get more involved, both as members and committee
officers in societies, be active in Union Council- University
committees maybe. Work with the people I know, esp. those up there.
And then next year, go for it. If I stay for a PGCE (and/or a
Masters), it cancels out this (wasted) year anyway.
- NO2ID- President
- Union Councillor: active, proposer/seconder/speaker, committees
- Writing for Concrete, go to socials more...
- HKF, CND, School Governor, party membership?
Also want to get back into writing- I miss it. Short stories maybe.
Keep thinking that if we always moan about the fact that (first)
novels are always autobiographical, should just give it up, and write
mutilated diaries....and go to the gym...
No comments:
Post a Comment